Monday, 1 June 2015

Erika attends a conference and meets new people

It’s Erika here, the Japanese ambassador for the University of Sheffield's International Office. 
You can find out more about me on my web page. 

 Two weeks ago, I went to the Durham University to attend a small conference. My professor told me about this at the beginning of the course, so I was looking forward to going to the annual meeting in Durham for a long time.

People was practicing kayaking @ Darham 
 I stayed with a home-stay family for one night to attend this meeting. My host was great and we were talking about her work and my study late at night. She served warm cups of tea and nice breakfast. It was really kind of her to tell me all about Durham. Also, she told me about Newcastle, which is close to Durham and I have been interested in visiting here since I was in Japan. 

I like homestaying because I can meet new people and know their thoughts, lifestyle, and their friends.I can have different experiences from staying at a hotel.
 
Next morning, I got to the building earlier than the others. I took a look at the posters on the wall in the room we were having the meeting. Then, a man was coming in to the room and we were chatting for a while. I did not noticed he was the person studying for Intercultural Communication Competence and made its theory until everyone introduced their names. I have already read his theory and actually used it in my essay but I did not know his face! It was really nice to meet him.

At the conference, there were a lot of people from different parts of Britain and other EU countries. I met not only the researchers but also postgraduate students. Especially, I learned their research methodologies from their presentations. It was a wonderful opportunity to know people outside of our University and how they are researching in the same field. I hope I can meet more people at another meeting in Sheffield in this month.

By Erika Uchiyama
 International Office Ambassador for Japan



No comments:

Post a Comment