Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Getting advice on work from the University of Sheffield and Lacuo


Hi, its Lacuo (Bingma Lacuo) and I am an International Office  Ambassador for China. You  can find our more about me here on the University web pages.





























I attended an interview today in Newmarket for an one-year abroad internship program. It initially seemed like a short 15-minute individual interview, which, however required a lot of me to prepare myself.

I got help and advice, and here are some tips and services offered by the  University that used to help me.



As a postgraduate student, I have very limited time to arrange my career preparation during this one year period. At the beginning of October, I signed up in the CAREER MENTOR SCHEME, a program aiming to connect current students  with 
the graduates. My mentor is Andrew, who is currently working in London and he is very kind to answer me so many questions about the career plan even during his business trip abroad, and those conversations are extremely beneficial to me.

After having an overall concept of career plan, I started to apply for vacancies and set up a framework of CVs and covering letters, during which period, I found that the STUDENT JOB SHOP is continuously posting the updated job (intern/part-time) information to your preset preference through the on line job market, MY VACANCIES. Also, some links with foreign recruitment websites are  specially tailed for international students. Furthermore, I keep pace with the latest career information through WHATS ON DIARY ,a website maintained by the career service office, mainly in charge of posting their activity like recruitment fair, workshops to help you  write CV and covering letter and even interview training.




There are some other activities held by the university ,aiming to offer you a work experience like the TASTE OF WORK, which is run by the university and provide you with an            one-off  work experience to add in CV. Here's a picture of a Chinese postgraduate attending this program jointly held by the New Leaf in the Student Union.


FINALLY, GOOD LUCK!

By Lacuo Bingma
International Office Ambassador for China
You can email me at china@sheffield.ac.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment